Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Blogging at the Library


Since the kids wanted to go to the library today because there was an event they wanted to do I did what I usually do, walk up and down the isle of books. Since this is a local library, not the main library there are fewer isle so I get a chance to look at titles and such as I go. And it might have been the isle or it might have been my mood that made me look at the titles in what I can only describe as the "Help me I don't know what I am doing" section. Not the C++ for dummies or even the Idiots Guide to the Internet, but these are books that someone thought we all needed. Such as a book on making someone "Hot" or Managers guide to sexual harrassment. Most of these book I thought were common sense. Do these people read these books to learn about a subject or do they read them to validate what they should know? 
Did we need a book on Sexual Harrassement, haven't we been beaten over the heads with it in the 90's? Every where we turned in the 90's it was another sexual harrassment suit over this or that. I mean really, can you not pay a compliment to someone without it being harrassment. I dont care if they are your boss. And yes. I know that sometimes it does get out of hand. But should we also hold the person getting harrassed partly to blame? Yes some bosses would harass even if the person come to work in oversize, butt ugly clothes. Is our actions part of the cause? Have we allowed too much in society that we just over look for whatever reason that it is not a social norm? 
When did it become okay for 13 year olds to have sex and get pregnant? When was it okay for television show to say it was okay to air these teenagers, give them 15 minutes of fame, then walk away leaving a bigger mess than what they started with. Most adults can't handle to stress of fame. And have we learned nothing for all the books and shows about kid actors. 
When did society get so stupid and where did all the values go? You and your child knowing the difference between right and wrong. When did it become okay to break any law and blame everyone but yourself? People struggle for money all the time, that doesn't mean they break into someones house and steal things. The elderly in America are not being taken care of by their children. I don't agree with most of China, but when it comes to parents I agree. They believe that it is the kids responsibility to take care of their parents not a nursing home. We tend to forget that they raised us, gave us food and shelter, and gave us their love, when they get older it is our turn to take that stress from them, to help them when they need it, to be there for them. Why can this country not take back the values that seem to be lost everyday? We keep hearing that each one of us makes a difference and we do. We have to teach our kids to stand up for what they believe in, to make a difference in their lives as well as others. We have to make a difference also. We should not have to give up our rights, those rights we were granted 200 years ago. 
This blog started off about these books that were written about common sense. And just like their right to state what we should all know, this is my right to state the failure of us in our society to make sure these are not things people know. We spend all this time on social media but are we making a difference sharing that cute kitten for the 10th time this month? Oh don't get me wrong, I like that kitten and it helps brighten my day but let also contribute to our world but communicating with someone in person and lets start with our kids. 
As a parent we have to struggle with all the social media saying it is okay to do something and you know that old line us parents have said over and over again, "I don't care that so and so's mother lets them do that, I'm not their mother I am yours." It seems that not enough parents are saying that to kids anymore when is why we have shows about 16 year old pregnant. 

I will leave you all with one thought, teach your kids otherwise someone else will poison the mind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment